*press CTRL + "+" to size up the font

Monday, May 14, 2012

Thoughts About Religion


Religion is a vast topic. I dont even know how long this will take me but I will try to make this post shorter than what I have in mind. First, I was baptized so I am a Catholic. But then again, I question this religion. As so many people I have met or know. Religion has been on this planet even before Jesus. Only ignorant people would question that. What is my real question then?- "Why is there religion?" 

What got me thinking about it was when I first learned about the dinosaurs. A kiddish idea but yeah. If you think about it, the Bible did not mention about them. Only the animals we saw commonly. It could be assumed that the one who wrote the Genesis lived around Earth at the time when those animals evolved already and as what we know of them today.

People who believe might tell me "Because God is out there and made us so that we have a knowledge of His existence" I just dont think that it is that simple. The major religions we know today only exists on about 4000 years ago but we all know how long we humans(homo sapiens) have lived on this planet, for approximately 150,000 years! If you think about it again, what could they have been believing at that time? There was no talk of any God. How could God do this to them too? I mean by not telling or showing He exists.

Another thing that I question is that why is there so many religions? How could there not just be one? I have been reading other blogs and posts in the internet as well. The concept "God" did not appear in the first believers of Christianity before. He was an anthropomorphic God with thunderous voice and legs to walk with in the Garden of Eden. Soon, that idea evolved in the minds of the people, around 2000 years ago, until it reached the stage of how we see God today. The Allah in the Islamic gender, who has no gender and cannot be depicted at all, in the last 1300 years. Also, humanity did not switch to the notion "One God" suddenly. 4000 years ago, the Jews were only less than a minute to the entire population, even today. It took a while for Europe to adopt the Christianity religion and the Arabs for the Islamic religion for them to have the concept "One God." Even today, the most populous country, China, do not believe in a monotheistic God. So if religion is here because of God, then God has created a peculiarly fragmentary and localized (both in space and in time) image of himself in people's minds. It's a "God with a thousand face" that appears in the world. Why?


I did not make this post to argue with believers. To them, all these questions are answered. And they preferred it that way. My purpose here is to write down how I see religion now. And soon, to add many things that i could think of. Still, this post is not enough to lay what I have in mind about religion.

No comments: